Monday, September 23, 2013

Texas 09/23/13

Well Hello!
I'm glad you got my letters and email!  From now on you should hear from me on Mondays, as long as nothing random happens.
 
CONGRATS ABBY AND KAM!!!   I was so pumped earlier this afternoon when I got your letter.  I cant wait to see a a little red-head running around in a couple years, then Kam wont feel so left out with his red beard.
 
Jesse...your arm really did look disgusting.  Like on Harry Potter when they accidently take the bone out of his arm haha good stuff.  I hope you are healing well, but dont forget about how gross that arm looked!  I'd keep a picture with me all the time. 
 
Joe.  I hear there is some pretty sweet new advances with the iPhone.  5s and 5c right?  That blows my mind, so I hope to hear more about it soon. 
 
I still love it here in Texas!  Everyday it gets more and more ugly, but I also begin to notice more and more amazing things about it!  There are a billion cats and dogs everywhere you go.  They just follow us as we walk down the street.  Most of the dogs are chihuahuas too, unfortunate.  It rained on Thursday and it was a much different expereince than I have ever had in Utah, that is for sure!  It didn't stop all day.  It just rained and raid and since there isn't grass anywhere everything was SO muddy.  I'll tell you more about that later in this letter though.  The sunset and sunrise is pretty much the highlight of my day.  It is out of this world.  There aren't mountains, and that sucks, but those sunsets make it ok.  The stars, oh my gosh. Life changing.  I have never been able to see both Orion and Casiopea in the same sky on the same night!  Who knew the mountains and all those city lights covered up so much.  I am so interested in the stars and in space in general, I'm excited to learn more about that in school when I get home.  But for now will you send me a couple articles or some info or something about a few star type things?  Arcturus and Pleiades pleace :).
 
So every Thursday we have "bike day".  We usually drive, since our area is so huge, but every Thursday we bike.  So yes, I was able to put my bike together Dad, I actually really enjoyed playin with it.  Last Thrusday was the day it was POURING all day, so I was so pumped.  We head out and are just getting drenched from the first minute.  Elder Greenman and I were trying to do some sweet skiding mid-puddle, it was so so so much fun!  We had a teaching appointment with some Mexican family we had met on Wednesday at the Library (where we email).  They just so happen to live the farthest away from our appartment as possible.  I didn't mind though cause it was a dream.  We get there after like 30 min of biking, soaking wet and muddy.  We see them in the back so we go to talk to them.  The lady was like "no, we cant today, come back tomorrow", and nothing we could say made her realize what we just went through to get there.  It was pretty frustrating.  Then Elder Greenman just gives this power house testimony about how the Gospel blesses families and how we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't know it was true (this is all in Spanish, wahoo).  They decided to let us teach.  We gave a pretty solid Restoration lesson and the spirit was pretty strong, needless to say we have a return appointment.  But this is the best part...THE LADY OWNS A TACO TRUCK!  We are now loyal customers every Monday morning at 5;20 AM (today was the first).  I love it.
 
We teach this lady named Sandy and her family.  They met her the day before I got here, but I have been here for all the lessons.  She's a dream.  She ask so many questions and just wants to learn so it is really easy to teach her!  She commited to Baptism last week and things have been going great.  She thinks the Word of Wisdom is the best thing ever and loves the Law of Chastity.  Except she is living with her boyfriend.  She has been doing everything she can to get him to agree to marrage but so far nothing has worked out.  She has so much faith though, so I know she'll find a way to get things done, no matter how long it takes. She lives in these appartments that are full of insane Mixican people.  We teach like 5 people around there so everyone knows us and they all talk to us!  Most people here are so friendly, its the best!
 
Missionary work is a dream.  I'm so happy to be here.  I work really really hard everyday, but it has already started to pay off.  Things are going great with me:) 
 
I love you all so much and miss you like CRAZY!  But all ya'll will be way better in 2 years ;) 
 
Love you!!
 


~Elder PoRtEr

Here are some cats and some STARS!  You can't see them very well, but I was pumped my little camera could get some in there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!