Monday, January 13, 2014

Fort Stockton Forever!

Transfer calls came and I'm staying in Ft. Stockton, duh.  Elder Nelson will be done being trained after this next one, so I'll probably move, if I dont I'll set a record for the longest time a missionary has served in the Fort Stockton Branch!  Haha.
We had a killer oportunity for service this last week, I was so SO happy!  We went out with a less Active family to their ranch and helped them unload bales of hay into their barn.  We moved 2 trailers with 204 bales on each trailer, the first one took us 1 hr 19 min and the second took 57 minutes...they said it was a Ruebush family record by a long shot!!   It was so much fun to do that!  They raise Long Horns and horses, so they needed a whole bunch of hay, they figure it will last them about a year.  Wanna learn something cool?  A Section is a measurement of land, it is equivalent to 640 acres...holy crap!  Here in WEST Texas, the driest place around, you need a whole bunch of land to raise cattle.  The Reubush family has 15 sections and President Cox, another Branch Memeber, has 43 sections.  That is so insane.  Land is real cheap out here though, apparently.  It would be a pretty good investment to buy a lot of land out here because the oil is starting to boom again, they suspect it will be at his highest point it has been in a really long time.  People are gonna need houses...the price of land will go up...and you'll be a rich person!  Well, maybe, what do I know?  I cant even read the news haha.
This week, since we didn't have a car, we biked a whole lot.  Thank heavens it was warm all week:)  We went to a park called Roony Park, its like 60 acres of park, I would live there if I could.  Anyway, we saw these two guys playing basketball.  In my mind I created a story about E. Nelson and I plaing them two on two, beating them, teaching them, and then baptizing them.  The idea sounded amazing...so I challenged the guys to a game, first to 21.  I dont know if you have ever seen me play basketball...I doubt you have, because I really am not very good at all.  Elder Nelson is 15 times worse than I am, but I was hoping for some kind of power from Heaven because we are missionaries.  It didn't come.  We got CRUSHED!  Hahahaah.  It was one of the funniest things I have ever taken part of.  They absolutly killed us.  I swear the kids belong in the NBA!  We got to teach them anyway, because they felt pity on us, and we scheduled a return appointment with one of them.  So it wasn't all bad...just mostly haha. 
I got to go on Exchanges this week as well.  I went up to McCamey and lived in the Trailer for a day!  It was a fun little experience that I never want to re-live haha.  The town of McCamey has 1800 people and there has been missionaries for 3 months.  They have had one baptism, but currently they have 0 investigators. In fact, they havn't had an investigator for an entire transfer.  They are always pretty depressed.  We biked around for 4 hours and talked to 5 people, none of which were interested.  Then, when it was dark, we just went inside and studied more cause we aren't allowed to knock after dark.  It made me really grateful for my town Fort Stockton.  The work is slow, but not THAT slow! 
We teach a guy named Daniel, I can't remember if I said anything about him yet.  He is really cool and has sick hair.  He's basically on a journey to find out if God excists and he has chosen us to help him figure out.  He reads the Book of Mormon a lot, and thinks about it hard, too.  He read Lehi's dream 6 times trying to figure out the symbolism of it all, when he found out the answers begin to come in chapter 11 he was pretty mad haha.  He has a million questions about God, questions that we really don't have the answers to. I keep telling him to pray, but he wouldn't do it for a really long time.  Finally when we stopped by on Thursday, he told us he prayed.  When I asked if he got an answer he told me no, but that he felt really calm right after and ever since then he hasn't gotten so frustrated by it all.  It was a neat chance we had to explain about the Holy Ghost and how that peace he felt was an answer that God does indeed exsist.  Prayer is such an amazing gift that we have.  It's a way better phone than the iPhone ever will be (sorry Joe).  God will always be there no matter what to hear us out, and he loves to hear it.  A song we listen to sometimes in the car has the line "we send up our misseries (sp?), God just hears a melody."  That is really cool to me.  He really does love us so much.  He always has and He always will:)
Well...LOVE YOU ALL!!:)
Elder Caleb Porter
P.S.  Mom, you're so cool now that you're the President of Utah.  I know it's jus the Quilt Guild, but I think it will probably eventually take over the government, so I just cut the rest off.:)
Tracting Fun

Fun at District Meeting

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!