Monday, June 30, 2014

Don't stop til big Nelly gets dropped

Ho'y'all doin'?!  It's real neat that all my family is together cause that's a lot of fun.  I was gonna say something else, but I couldn't figure out how to word it...hehe.  I'm pumped y'all made a life-size me too, I want to keep that for the rest of my life!

This week, or at least Yesterday, in Odessa they are having a mexi-mobile-paluza.  I hope you know what I mean when I say mexi-mobile.  There are a few in Orem called 40oz.  One is always parked outside of a house just off 4th on the way to Hogie's house.  Its just an old car, like a 60's Impala or Cadillac or Lincoln or something like that made nice again and pained either really plain, like straight white, or really crazy, like bright blue and pink with fire on it.  The best part about the cars though, is the wheels. They have little baby wheels, Denton Spokes, white walled and errythang, with some sweet hydraulics to make it all jacked up and crooked and stuff.  I hope I painted a good enough picture.  Anyway, at home I always thought is was pretty cool just because it was funny, but since my mission I have realized that it is one of my favorite things in the world and I will probably have one when I'm rich.  Every parkinglot here had at least 5 in it last night. I was so mad cause I forgot my camera:(  We talked to a lot of the guys though, and they were pretty cool, generally uninterested, but cool.

So prolly one of the most stressful things about a mission, or at least our mission, is getting members to come out with us.  They never do, and when they do the "hijack" the lesson.  Let me explain by way of story:  A member came out with us this week, the second one I've had come since I've been in Odessa.  He is a really cool guy, convert, strong testimony, very knowledgeable.  We sat down before the lesson and explained that his role as a member is to teach absolutely nothing, but to testify to what we have said when invited (I don't know if it's the same everywhere, so don't think missionaries in your perspective areas are bad if they ask you to participate more).  He understood.  As we began to teach the Alamos family their first lesson we quickly realized that he ignored us.  At one point in the lesson, right after the we recited the first vision, the woman asked "So...was he a prophet then?"  That is a REALLY good question, cause it means she was paying attention.  The member took it upon himself to answer that question.  The answer is yes, right?  Well, yes, but in his answer he explained 1.Forordination. 2. War in Heaven. 3. Celestial Glory.  4. Outer Darkness. 5. The Pearl of Great Price.  and 6. Man's potential to be like God.  Those are all eternal and important truths, yes, but its a whole lot of meat for someone who needs only milk haha.  We were happy the member came though, even after all that, friendship=membership.  We're gonna do a better job in prepping the members from now on!

I am absolutely loving working with Elder Pack. It is such a blessing!  For both of us, it sounds like.  The biggest city he has served in before Odessa had 3000 people in it!  INSANE!  Real small west Texas I guess.  So he loves Odessa.  He is UNREAL at Spanish. The Spanish speakers think he is straight from mexico.  It's weird cause he's never even served in a Spanish area!  I guess it goes to show that studying and working hard pays off!  I am having a great time:)


Well.  I love y'all so so much!  Have an amazing day and week and I'll hear from ya more next week:)

Love,
Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!