Monday, January 26, 2015

Juevos

Well.  I ran out of clever ways to tell y'all that I'm staying in Odessa for another transfer...so I'll just tell y'all normal this time.  I'm staying in Odessa for another 6 weeks with Elder Gillette!  Haha I was really really surprised, but so happy:)  I heart it here.  I'll have 10.5 months here by the end of the transfer, y'all might as well just send my records to this branch. 
Let me start out by telling you that Francisco's name is actually Frank.  He was born in Mexico and really bummed that his parents gave him an American name, real embarrassed. So when we met him 5 months ago he told us his name was Francisco to avoid further embarrassment hahaha.  Anyway.  Frank showed up in a suit yesterday.  He loves church and wants to look the part, so he bought a suit. He also got interviewed by President Muniz and then got the Aaronic Priesthood!!  The next set of missionaries (if I ever leave) wont even be able to tell that he's a recent convert. I am really grateful for the opportunity to have taught Frank. He's a real good guy and the Gospel has made a really positive change in his life.  I guess that's what the Gospel is for! 
We recently started working with 4 less active families.  They are all the same, ever less active I have ever taught is the same...they are all less active because they got offended.  Oh my heck, I feel bad, but I have no patience for that kind of crap!  80% of the time the offence was nothing grave, just a really senstitive person on the other end.  Just man up!!  Sorry if I offended anyone with that comment, haha.  There is this one family here who has been active for 15 years, they even did home/visiting teaching, but got offended last week and decided not to come back.  They know the Church is true, they know it's vital to come to church, but they are "surrounded by too many hypocrites". We just found out about it yesterday.  That makes me SO SAD!  I love love love this family, they've fed us a few times and I love them a lot!!  I don't understand how Satan can get into people's hearts so easily.  Offended is my least favorite adjective.  No one is perfect...but you know what is?  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is perfect.  Not the leaders, but the Gospel, OK?!?!
This week we had to drop a few investigators.  We've basically been teaching the same people for like 4 months and no one does anything.  It's so frustrating when someone is a real good person and wants to change their life but wont ever pick up the freaking Book of Mormon, haha.  ( Don't be fooled by this email.  I just realized it sounds like I'm all mad and had a terrible week.  I am happy and had a real good week, ok? haha)  So we just had a lesson that explained the importance of reading and coming to church and told them to call us when they had read one chapter....we still haven't got a single call haha.  NO worries, I'm sure one day they'll figure it out!  We got 2 new investigators as well, so that is good! 
Recently I have been studying a whole ton about humility.  One of my favorite verses in the whole scriptures in Alma 26:12.  Ammon is talking to his bro Aaron about how he (Ammon) is nothing and really weak, but how with the Lord's strength he had do anything.  It's nuts to me that I can put 100% of my effort into completing a task and still fail, but the second I put 100% of my effort into trusting and relying on the Lord I can fulfill that task and anything else.  How neat is that?!  One phrase that I learned from George Lopez (the TV show) is "I cant do nothing around here!"  I actually hear that exact phrase like 15 times a week here in Odessa haha.  It is a true principle, though. I really cant do nothing ( don't think about the grammar or else it will take away from the message!), nothing by myself at least.  I can't love the people, I cant develop patince with my companions, I cant walk around all day, I cant wake up at 6:30 each day, I cant memorize scriptures, I cant teach, I cant speak Spanish, I cant do nothing by myself.  God literally does it all for us.  I love that He loves me cause I'd be nothing without Him.

I love y'all a whole bunch!!  Have a real good week and be safe!  Don't forget to smile:)
Love,
Elder Caleb Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!