Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Wanton Eyes (Do you think Caleb just comes up with random things for a title?)

Well this week was a doozy!!!  Out of nowhere the weather turned into Godzilla and massacred the whole city of Odessa.  On Tuesday it was really cold in the morning, I bundled up in 2 pairs of thermal dundies, a sweater, and my giant coat with a hat and gloves, of course.  At like 3 or 4 oclock we were walking around and it was misting little drops of rain, but the rain would freeze like the second it hit things.  So by the end of that hour Elder Gillette and I had a 1/4 inch layer of ice on the outside of our coats!  We were all crusty, it was awesome.  If I had a beard it would have been full of ice.  On Wednesday it was SO icy.  Easily the worst roads I have ever driven on.  Last year when it was real icy we were told to stay inside, but not this year!  I never went above 12 MPH but even that was probably too fast.  The Chevy Cruz we drive has bad tires so I couldn't accelerate or brake without sliding all over the place.  It was nuts!  The news paper said there were over 250 accidents reported that day, how nuts is that?!?!?  Luckily #Godwaswithme and I didn't crash ni una vez. Thursday was slightly better.  On Friday it rained all day and was a little bit warmer.  There were HUGE puddles on ever street cause Odessa doesn't know how to irrigate.  The combination of the rain plus the melting roads made ever street a river.  I'm pretty sure our car floated a few times haha. On Saturday it was hot again and everything melted and today there is no evidence it even happened. I love it here.
The West Odessa elders live here in the city but their area to work is really far west, it's basically everything between Odessa and Monahans. They weren't allowed to go to their area because the roads were so bad out there so on Thursday they came and blitzed our area!  A "blitz"  is just like an exchange except both companionships work in the same area.  I spent the day with Elder Berta, he's a brand new greeny from New Jersey.  We got so lucky.  Usually on a blitz you just end up spending all day walking around outside because there isn't enough work for 2 companionships, but that's not what happened to us!  We were walking around and found a less active guy I've been looking f or for 8 months and taught a killer lesson to him AND his 2 friends, it was neat. Then we got to teach a killer lesson to Cody, Yocelin, and Jesus. We read Alma 17 with them about Ammon cutting off arms and connected it to missionary work.  I challenged them all to pray about a mission.  Jesus is going to serve, I know it.  I love that kid so much.  THEN at night we got to teach another LA family.  We taught them about tithing and challenged them to get to the temple this year.  IT was a good good day.
On Sunday morning we got a call from our Zone Leaders informing us that the Chapel in Odessa was broken!  IT couldn't handle the cold.  The heater broke and some of the pipes burst, so it was a real big mess.  They told us we could drive up to midland and go there.  There are 2 churches in midland and I only know where on of them is. Well, the Spanish branch meets at the other one.  I was given an Address and nothing more, we don't have a map of midland and I know almost nothing about the city.  I drove straight to it without a problem.  I don't know if that sounds as awesome to you as it does to me.  It was a miracle!!  God really wanted us to be on time to church, haha.  Elder Heaps, one of my old companions is serving in Midland Spanish, so I got to see him, I was real happy:)

Anyway. I  love y'all a whole ton!! Thanks for all your prayers and love!!
LOVE,
Elder Caleb



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!