Monday, July 28, 2014

My Bob Gigi

Last Monday night we taught the SICKEST lesson ever.  I had so much fun and realized how much I actually do love to teach.  We were teaching Jose, he's our most solid investigator.  WE found him right after his girlfriend dumped him, and he was so pitiful.  He just layed on the floor all day long and smelled so bad.  We started to teach him and he changed immediately.  I'd say his understanding level is that of a 10 year old, so we have to go pretty slow and explain things a lot.  He never keeps his commitments though, so the purpose of our lesson on Monday was to tell him to start acting or we were gonna stop coming by.  I felt promped to read 1 Nephi 8 with him, that's Lehi's dream about the tree of life.  We read it and explained it a few times, but he still wasn't getting it all the way.  So I got up and found a broom to be the Iron Rod and put my scriptures as the tree of life.  I made him act out the dream, it was so fun.  Instead of having mists of darkness I just hit his hand really hard with a fly swatter till he let go.  Finally he figured things out and did so well all week.  It was SO MUCH FUN TO TEACH!  The Gospel is real fun. 

We had interviews with President Heap this week as well.  My interview was INCREDIBLE.  We had 15 minutes each to talk with him, I kinda feel jipped because I got in there, sat down, said a prayer and the time was up, at least that's what it felt like.  He asked me "How can I, me specifically, help you?"  I told him I want to learn more about the scriptures, understand better, and apply them better and that he could help me because he was a seminary and institute guy.  He was pumped and then began to change my life.  He made incredibly powerful and personal comments and promises, challenges that are perfect for what I want to become and read some scriptures that blew my mind.  What a great guy!!  I love that guy.  He's a real life human being.  A lot of times, with President Augustin, whom I  also love, I felt like I was talking to a Robot.  But President Heap is ALIVEEEEEE  #Frankensteinreference.  He told me to read PMG to understand the Scriptures more and it has already made a tremendous impact on my studies.  #yay

Let me tell you a little bit about Odessa.  When you drive in to Odessa you see a sign that say Population:100,000.  That is such a LIE!  Odessa/Midland is a HUGE oil field based city and right now the Oil is BOOOOOMMMMIIINNNG!!  So there are a gazillion people here.  There are usually 5 or 6 different small families in the same trailer!  It is SO insane.  There are a lot of Mexican here because of it, though, so I am pleased.  We realized early this week that we see license plates from other states more than we see Texas ones. We started keeping track and we found 40 states in one week!  Hawaii, New Hampshire, Connecticut,  Road Island, Oregon, Delaware, Kentucky, and 2 other random little ones are the only states we are missing.  It makes driving so much fun to be looking!!  I love it here in Odessa.  It is the promised land.  Often reffered to as Odessalation, though haaha.  

I love y'all a whole bunch!  Have a good week and be real safe.  Don't forget to pray and read your Book of Mormon!! 
Love,
ELder Caleb Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!