Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I got God, I got Jesus. The faith I got in Jesus

Whooo-wee it was a pretty hot week.  I love it being hot.  At the end of the day I just die and sleep so good, haha.  There is a down side, however.  Each day between 12 and 5 there is absolutely NO ONE OUTSIDE!  It's already hard during those hours because everyone works, but now no one leaves haha.  Elder Pack and I don't even plan for those hours much anywhere, we just pick an area to walk around.  Odessa is big, so we still can usually talk to 4 or 5 hot and sweaty people.  While we walk we do a lot of things to make the time go faster like math, singing, rapping, skipping rocks, making noises, practicing Spanish, jumping, or throwing rocks at dogs.  I'm sure we look so dumb.   It sure is a different story between 6 and 9, though.  Everyone and their dog (literally) is outside!  BUT it's also the only time we ever have lessons so we don't get to talk to a lot of those people!  That's the trouble in these parts now days. 

Anyway.  We met this kid named Cody this week.  Cody is THE man.  He's dating one of the girls in the branch and has been coming to church for a while just to please her, or so we thought.  Last Sunday he asked us if we could come over and teach him, so we did!  Right at the beginning we asked him WHY he wanted to learn more.  If you don't have "real intent" nothing will happen, I know that to be a true principle.  He told us that in the past 5 years he has seen so many miracles and blessings come from God and now he just wants to show God that his is for real, that he really believes and loves.  Needless to say, we were pumped out of our minds.  THEN he says that he had prayed that day for some guidance and he saw us walk up to him and talk just a few hours later, he took it as a sign!  He is a real good guy.  Just turned 18.  For some reason 15-18 is the easiest age for me to teach.  Probably cause I'm that age.  It's just real fun and easy to teach to a high school kid! 

Odessa Spanish covers Odessa and like 7 other little cities.  This week we went to Andrews to try out the waters.  There are missionaries in Andrews already, but neither of them speak Spanish, so we spent a day up there.  I have no idea why there are no Spanish missionaries because we talked to 15 people and 100% didn't speak English.  I don't know if it was just national be a Mexican day or something like that, but it was pure gold out there.  The last guy we talked to, though, wasn't a really good guy.  He tried to bash pretty hard and wouldn't accept anything we said.  Even when we tried to get out and walk away he got mad.  Hard hearted people never understand anything, that is another thing I know to be true.  It just bounces off their face.  Oh well, the rest of the city was so good.  We are gonna go up there every week now!

At the end of this week some of my favorite missionaries are going home including Elder Greenman and Elder Martin!  I can not believe they are done!!  It's so weird to see people finish their mission.   Where I'm at I feel like I've been here forever and that I have forever left, "without beginning of days or end of years".  I love it a lot.   I'm sad to see them all go though.  They have made a HUGE impact in my service and my life!  Luckily they just live in Utah, though, so I'll see them later haha. 

That's it!  Love y'all so much!  Keep praying and stuff! It's important!  I'll tlak to y'all again next week. 

Love,
Elder Portero

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!