Monday, August 11, 2014

Prophets are true

On Monday night we had THE COOLEST little branch activity.  I say little because it was, but relative to usual branch activities (including church) it was enormous.   We had so many people come!  Each one of the missionaries, there are four of us in the branch, gave a short 3 min. instruction and then we ate.  I taught about the importance of being a branch family.  For food they feed us some real authentic Mexican food...Menudo.  It was my first time eating it, but it is infamous in the mission!  It's got a soup that's basically just red chili boiled down, that is pretty good, but the worst part is the meat.  Have you ever heard of Tripas?  What about Tripe?  It's pig stomach and intestine. Well, that's the meat.  I ate it and it wasn't too bad.  The tripas was chewy and gross and almost even hairy, but I got over it...or so I thought.  It did WORK on me.  On Tuesday I crapped 23 times...TWEANTY THREE!!!  Needless to say, we didn't go outside that day hahaha.  It was a neat experience hahah.

Transfer calls were yesterday.  I'm staying here with Elder Pack, so no change for us. My whole district didn't change, so that is cool.  Elder Whatcott (Tom) is staying too, I'm real happy about that.  Pack and I dropped every investigator but one this past week because they weren't doing anything.  So we get to start over from square one!  I am real excited:)  Like I've always said, finding is my favorite part of missionary work. 

Early on this week I had the impression that I should study more about some Latter Day Prophets, so I decided to start reading the priesthood manuals, the teachings of the prophets ones.  I read George Albert Smith and learned a ton and felt the spirit real strong, so I decided to just keep reading.  I only read during my spare time, so during lunch and dinner and at night, but somehow I am hauling through the books.  I read Heber J. Grant in a day and got pretty far into Lorenzo Snow.  I love love love LOVE it!  I feel like I've been getting some real good blessings for it.  First of all I am finding more and more attributes that I desire and more and more ways to achieve those things.  I learn a lot of cool stories and teachings of Prophets of God and have been able to apply them to my teaching and personal study.  And I have felt an outpour of the spirit.  I don't know if it's cause I need to learn that stuff, or just cause I followed the prompting, but man am I grateful for it.  This has been a HUGE week for me as far a spiritual growth.

I really like peace.  Peace is the overpowering feeling for me.  Does that even make sense?  Like, I feel like my search for peace has givin me a testimony of the Gospel and keeps me into it.  When I feel the spirit, I feel peace, and I always want that feelings.  That's why I am so grateful for the Scriptures and the teachings of all prophets, and Jesus Christ.  "In me you might have peace, in the world you will have tribulation, but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."  How neat is that?!  Jesus Christ suffered for us so we could have PEACE!  His yoke is easy and His burden is light, that's not to say that what He did was easy, but that if we turn to him we can find that peace and comfort in our own lives.  The scriptures are magical things, I am so grateful I have an hour a day to study those words!  "whosever will may lay hold upon the word of God, which is QUICK and POWERFUL, which DEVIDETH ASUNDER ALL the cunning, and the strifes, and the wiles of the devil.  And LEADETH the man of Christ in a straight and narrow course across that everlasting gulf of misery...and will land his soul, yea his immortal sould, at the RIGHT HAND OF GOD IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN."  That is the sickest thing ever!  I love the scriptures, I love the Holy Ghost, I love the words of God!  I know that as we follow those words and heed his counsel we can have peace and hope in every situation!!

The Gospel is the best.  So anyway.  I love y'all a whole lot!  Be safe and have a bunch of fun this week. 

Love, Elder Porter

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!