Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pretty much the same...



    






  Well, I'm here again!  And guess what...I freaking love it again.  As soon as you dropped me off two Elders came and took me to my room and class and stuff.  I am in a trio.  One of my companions, Elder Roberts is going to Lubbock as well, he's from Canada, that's why he is here and not in Mexico.  My other companion, Elder Collins is black so...'nuff said.  Most of my district is going to Argentina.  This level of Spanish is a dream for me, it isn't nearly as fast paced and I am one of the best in the class.  So I am pretty pumped about that, the stress level is MUCH LOWER.  
     My district and my zone are pretty rowdy and I love that, but they have a hard time working hard when it comes time to work hard.  I have been trying to change that slowly by example.  In our weekly planning sessions I suggested that we all bear our testimony to a few missionaries each day, that way we can practice Spanish and be more in tune with the Spirit.  We've only done it for two days ( I guess that's as long as I have been here ) but it has already made a really big difference.
    I've seen a lot of my friends here again, the ones who were here when I left.  They are so pumped to see me again.  I kid you not, I just really enjoy being here.
    We teach twice a day and that is by far my favorite part.  The spirit is always so strong and my Spanish is unreal (at least compared to normal).  Elder Roberts is pretty bad at Spanish, he only knew a few words when he got here, but during the lessons he has the best things to say.  He just starts talking, hoping things will happen.  It is always a struggle, but he ends up getting it out and the Spirit is seriously strong.  
     I have a little bad news though!!  My back hurts again...haha like I said its pretty much the same.  It started to hurt just a few hours after I got here and it does get worse and worse everyday.  So I'm thinking it could be a few things.  It's either hurting from stress or anxiety, if that is the case then I'm just gonna get over it.  I don't ever feel stressed and I love this so much that I doubt its anxiety, but those are still possibilities. It could be just simply a trial of my faith, in that case I'm just gonna get over it and push on and eventually I will start receiving the blessings and get better.  Or it could be that the Lord just had a better plan for me, I really hope it's not this one, if this is the case then I'll come home again and work on following His plan.  
    I was pretty discouraged when it started to hurt so I have been praying pretty hard for some guidance or peace in what it is.  It's one of those times where I haven't gotten an answer yet.  So I started to pray that if I was gonna maybe have to go home again that I could at least have a good missionary experience here.  I figured if I can invite a few missionaries to come closer to Christ that that will affect hundreds of souls while they were in their mission.  I am very grateful to say that this prayer came true.  Elder Roberts and I were doing some studying in our own room, so we could be in quietness, and he started to share with me some doubts he had about being here.  He had a rough past and had to wait a couple years till he could get out here, he's 21.  Now that he is here is doubting it really hard and has already started working on getting home.  I was able to bear my testimony to him that being home sucks (sorry) and that this really is where he is supposed to be.  I told him how I though I might need to go home again and I made him promise me that if that happens he would work twice as hard in Lubbock to make up for what I couldn't do.  Since then he has been a different missionary.  He is positive all the time, he is the most obedient member of our district, and he works so hard.  I love to see the change he has made already. 
     Elder Scott spoke at devotional last night about prayer.  It was a really really really good talk.  He shared a few scriptures I needed to hear and I began to feel comfort in my situation.  After that devotional, for whatever reason, I started to write down "My Missionary Experience".  It is just kinda my story about getting out here.  It starts with back surgery and then goes into the trial I had with receiving my call.  After I wrote about that I changed the title to "My Conversion Story".  I continued to talk about getting in the MTC and having all the blessings I did and then having to go home.  After writing about being at home and working so hard and spending time with family and stuff I changed the title again, this time to "How I Found Peace".   I was pretty much crying the entire time I was writing and I'm crying again now just thinking about it haha.  I realized that I am SO INCREDIBLY BLESSED!!!  I know better than most people that the Lord has his own plan for me, it has changed my path so many times and I have hated it.  But now I realize that I have grown so much closer to my Savior because of it.  He really has turned into my best friend.  I have found peace through the scriptures and through my prayers so many times, and I know that I can do that every time.  One of my favorite scriptures is John 16:33.  It talks about how I can always find peace through my Savior Jesus Christ.
     So here I am, I am in a predicament with my back.  My plan for now is to wait a week, if it is any worse by next Wednesday I will talk to the doctors again.  I hate the idea of having to go home again, but I already know that if I do I will be so blessed.  Yo se que Dios y Sus Hijo, Jesucristo me ama.  I know that God and His Son. Jesus Christ loves me.  I know that there is a plan for me.  I know that if I follow that plan that I will ALWAYS have peace.  I guess peace has kind of always been my drive.  
      When I came home I got letters from Abby and Sarah and Hannah, each of their letters had some story about how they found comfort and peace through the Savior.  Thank you so much for those letters, I guess this is kinda my version.  I want to challenge all of you to build up your relationship with Christ.  We all have trials every day but we have been given the amazing gift of peace.  
      I love this Gospel.  I love being a missionary.  I don't think that I'm ever gonna stop being one, no matter what happens.  Elder Porter has been branded on my heart.  I'll talk to yall later, hopefully mom and dad let you know of my address.  
                                                  I love you all so much,
                                                     Elder Sea-Port


Elder Caleb Porter
SEP09 TX-LUBK
2011 North 900 East Unit 281
Provo, Utah 84602



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!