Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Columbus Day Made me Late!

Sorry I couldn't email you yesterday.  The Library was closed for Columbus Day! #americanmissionaryprobs.
It was my birthday!  I had such a great day, easily one of my favorite birthdays ever!  Thank you all so so much for the letters or emails!  It really made my whole week special since they were all coming at different times!:)  And Ab...that Pirate Telescope is a dream.  I read scriptures from across the room now!  I started off the day down in Alpine (I'll tell you more about that) and taught some sweet lessons with Elder Carlile, another Elder in the District.  We biked 7 miles in the heat to get to one of the lessons, it was so sick.  Then we (Elder Moyer and Greenman and I) headed back up to FT. St.  We had a lesson with a Less Active family, the Hernandez family.  They have 3 little kids who are SO cool and I just love talking to them!  After we had a short lesson about the Temple they turned off all the lights and brought out a big ol cake for me.  It was such a suprise haha.  It is a Mexican tradition to smash the person's face into the cake on their birthday.  Even though I am a missionary they didn't want to bread tradition...:)  Yesterday we went to the Michie's house.  They are Senior Missionaries here, acting as Branch President.  They cooked us Lobster and some other pretty ellegant stuff and then we played games!  It felt just like home with the family, except more quiet haha.  So all and all...it was an AMAZING birthweek!  AND I"M 19!  WOW.
We had "exchanges"  this week.  So I went up and spent a day with Elder Carlile in Alpine and his two companions took my place in Fort Stockton.  Alpine is actually kinda pretty!  It reminds me of that tiny town Grampa Zeigler lives in haha.  It has mountains and stuff, but they still are dry and ugly looking, and it is a tiny town as well!  There is a Texas State College out there, Sul Ross, the students there make up most of the population.  It was actually a really really nice looking college as well.  We spent most of our time out there knocking on people's doors!  We dont do that much in FT. St because every house has been knocked a million times.  I had a great time!  I think it is so fun to just talk to random people and maybe even getting to speak some Spanish!:)
This week, as far as numbers go, was the worst week EVER!  Haha.  We were working so so hard all week but we only taught 1 lesson, 0 member presents, and 2 less actives visited.  It was pretty bad and we were confused casue we were working like warhourses!  It all pays off though!  On Sunday we had 6 investigators at church and 2 less actives.  It was a dream.  And then that night we met a girl who accepted a challenge for baptism.  HARD WORK PAYS OFF!  I think that is easily something I have learned a lot of out here.  The Lord blesses us for our work.  It is found all over in the scriptures (I have been studying it a lot).  Whenever a new group breakes out in the BOM, like when Nephi seperates from his brothers after they get out here, the first thing they do is become "industrious".  I think it is pretty cool that so many blessings come just from working hard.
I love love love it out here still!  MY first transfer ends on Saturday and that is when we will see if anything is gonna change.  Since I'm still being trained I doubt anything will, but after the NEXT transfer (6 weeks)  it might! Thank you all so so much again for the birthday stuff and for just being my family!  I think about ya'll so much and I miss you a ton.  So I guess thanks for just being there.  You make me happy:)
I love you so much and will talk to you in ~6~ days:)
Love,
ELDER CALEB HYRUM PORTER

family pictures *(Sarah's gift for me was moustaches)
Cake face
HAPPY BIRTHDAY 
Love you mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!