Monday, October 28, 2013

Halloween

Thank you so much for the mini bible and case, it is exactly what I needed! I don't like to put a ton of things in my back pack because my back always hurts by the end of the day, the mini's have made a huge difference already though!:) I use giant scriptures when I study, the real big print, to help my focus I guess hahah. One thing about Texas is that everyone knows their Bible! Its a little frustrating at times, but I am pumped about it too. I have had to learn a lot of Bible Scriptures and stories...way more than someone serving outside of the Bible-belt. I'm pleased with it! Fort Stockton changed Halloween to October 26 to "keep the children safe" I don't even know why changing the date would do anything. We had to stay inside after 6 though, so we didn't bug anyone too much I guess. At 6 pm we heard a real loud siren (I really have no Idea how to spell that) and another one at 9. We are pretty sure they were the signs for tricker treaters to know when to start and stop. We didn't see any trick or treaters though, they avoid our part of town because its dark, dirty, and dangerous at night hahah. Whatever though, we were prepared to give them pass-along cards! While we were inside I found a way sweet book that had a bunch of codes in it so now I'm re learning Morse Code! I bet you didn't know I learned it once...tehe. I have recently been studying about Caleb, in the Bible. He is so SICK! I really really love my name, so thanks mom and dad:) He had so much faith in what he could do with the Lord's help. In Numbers 13:30 he just power house's the people and says "We can overcome it" and then in 14:24 (the one Ben wrote on my tie) he just gets rewarded. I LOVE that kind of faith. Abby told me that Caleb means something about courage in hard times, or something like that. Its so cake to have courage when you know that Heavenly Father is on your side! Everything is easy. This week we met a sick black guy named Caleb. I asked if he knew about Caleb in the Bible, he didn't. As I told him I felt prompted to promise him a similar promise as in 14:24...that if he had faith, if he could get the different spirit and keep it with him (through talking to us and coming to church) he'd be able to overcome whatever trials he had at that time. It was a pretty powerful moment! He wants to meet with us and come to church, but he's under house arrest for the next month...hahahhaha. We keep in daily contact though, so we will see how that goes! WE GET TO GO TO THE TEMPLE!! None of the missionaries have ever been able to go to the temple before, there are just too many of us. But it is finally happening! Our district gets to head up to Lubbock on Wednesday night to go to the 6:00 PM session. I am so pumoed, I LOVE THE TEMPLE! I went at least once a week all summer long, but its been about 9 weeks since I've been last so I'm pumped. I can finally show off my tie!! That night we are gonna sleep in President Augustin's house and come back Thursday morning...I am so happy:) This week was Homecoming at the high school. No one would meet with us on Thursday night because there was a parade. So we went to the parade! It was HUGE! Every single person in the town was there. A real mad house. I loved it though. AND we talked to like 40 new people and set up 20 lessons. So it was a VERY fruitful night. Right after the parade they had a bon fire. I stack of pallets like 40 feet high covered in gassoline. It was a DREAM! I love fire haha. Anyway. I love all y'all so much and miss ya lots! I love to show off our giant family picture and I talk about y'all all the time! Be safe trick or treating. Have fun at school or work. That was the sickest costume ever Joe and Andy...unreal. Haha. I love you!!! Elder Cae

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!