Monday, November 4, 2013

The Temple Was a Dream

The Temple was a dream. It blows my mind how much more I understand and how much more I realize I don't understand...I'm pumped to go again sometime next year and then all the time in 2. The drive to Lubbock though? Worthless. It was like 5 hours cause we had to drive throught McCamey to pick up the other Elders in the district. I drive, I don't know if I told you that. Elder Greenman isn't allowed to cause he toatalled a car early on in his mission. We have a 2010 Malibu...easily the worst car ever invented. I want to die every time I sit down in it because it isn't even close to the quality I'm used to driving. Old Toyotas for life. The road was straight for the entire time, I only had to turn 5 times total. So I think I probably could have slept the whole time and we would have been fine. Way fun trip though. There are a lot of Jehova's Witnesses here. At least it seams like it to us. A lot of people we talk to say they already study with the Kingdom Hall people (JWs) and that they don't feel right talking to us...haha whatever. We end up trying to talk to a lot of the JWs too, they always try to tell us how wrong we are. There is a pretty solid steriotype to tell if someone is a JW...if its a middle aged, clean, bald man he's probably one OR if its an old Mexican lady. On Friday morning someone knocked on our door, when I opened it it was 2 old mexican ladies. They looked at each other and laughed a little. She said "hablan espanol?" as the other one started to walk away, thinking they got out of talking to us. Imagin their suprise when I replyed that I am learning spanish and am a missionary myself...they looked so upset and just walked away. Golden. I love it when that happens. No one thinks we can speak, so to get away from us they talk to us in spanish...in the end we usually know more spanish than they do hahaha. A lot of the members have been feeding us recently. No complaints at all. I've gotten some UNREAL Mexican food from a couple of the Less Actives. Mom....I even ate green peppers and LOVED them. You just have to fry them with meat and some kind of tasty bean recipie. We have a fridge full of taste right now, so shopping today I just bought crap. Like Chocolate Milk...something my buddies out side of the USA cant do! Suckers. Its all about WalMart pride. Adrian, that lady I told you about a few weeks ago, is getting baptized on Saturday!! We are all really excited cause it will be the first baptism Fort Stockton has seen in over 3 years haha. Adrian is the definition of Golden Investigator. She was so unbelievabley prepared. When we taught her about the Law of Chastity she just started to bawl because she had decided to do all those things a week before we taught it, just because it felt right. And when we taught Word of Wisdom she told us the only think she had ever done against that was drink tea...but she stopped that almost a year ago because she didn't feel like it was healthy for her body. The third time we taught her she was already in Mosiah. Seriously just a dream. It has been really good to teach her. Its kinda nice to have a little output for all our input! I'm loving missionary life...obviously. Its not like anything has changed. I love and miss you all so much! Go be a missionary somewhere because it is a dream. :) Be safe. Be well. I love y'all! (I really do say y'all all the time now, its so efficient!) LOVE ELDER PORTAL (that is what some of the mexicans call me hahah)
Temple. It looks just like my tie!
Typical Texas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!