Tuesday, December 10, 2013

New kid

3:41 PM (15 hours ago)
to me
Only one of my kids ended up showing up.  The other one had a last minute change and stayed in Lubbock, so its just me and Elder Nelson now!  He's a pretty cool guy, we get along really well so far.  He's from Latin Utah and just barely graduated from Northridge High School.  He loves Betos just like I did so...I doubt we'll have many problems haha.  I feel really blessed to have him as my trainee cause he works super super hard and is always willing to try and do new things. He is learning real fast and each day my job gets easier and easier.  It's a little rough when we have to teach a Spanish lesson though, since neither of us are very good or experienced haha.  We manage though!
 
Training is a lot of fun.  I really enjoy the added responsibility and the trust I get.  President Augustin said that there was only like 10 new missionaries this transfer, so it really is an honor to get to train, especially right after I finished!  The 12 week training program (the program we use to train) is the stupidest thing ever.  I don't even know why they send us to the MTC since we redo every single thing in the real life field, but its whatever.  It just means we get to have an extra hour for comp study to practice for lessons.  I've realized that as a trainer I can make up rules and Elder Nelson just automatically assumes they are mission rules...I haven't done anything with that power yet...but I willl! 
 
It was another cold cold week up here.  It didn't snow, but it rained and then froze 2 or 3 times.  No one comes outside on cold days, I don't know how they do it.  It seems to me like they have to come out sometime to get groceries or something...but it doesn't happen!  Haha oh well, we made due.  Hopefully this week is a little warmer cause we are pretty much out of investigators, only two are progressing so we need to find some new ones!!  It's super Christmasy everywhere though.  I LOVE IT!  Every house is decked out with so so so many lights...its almost as good as driving past Bastion's house in the rich neighborhood. 
 
We have two baptisms scheduled for this Saturday!  Jennifer, the JW, and Ricky, the guy who showed up to church last week.  I'm really excited for it!  Ricky has read all the way up to 3 Nephi in a week and just eats up everything we say and Jennifer knows every lesson like the back of her hand.  It is so cool to see people gain testimonies and see ther lives CHANGE!  Ricky, 4 months ago, was trash.  He practically lived on the street and was just a druggie hardcore...but things have changed so much for him and finally he will be making the best change of ALL!  BAPTISM!  I love love  love it.  Elder Nelson is a lucky guy to get two baptisms on his first week out...there are a lot of missionaries from this mission who only get like 3 baptisms total.  We got this text from Ricky this week...its hilarious..."I just had the weirdest tribulation today, I just saw Joseph Smith, Jesus Christ, and the Virgin Mary standing right behind me."  Hahahahahahhaha.  He's a crazy crazy guy.
 
We got a call this morning at 1 AM from a less active member.  She said that her bestfriend, and one of our investigators, just got in a really really bad car accident and was in the hospital.  She wanted a blessing before they sent her up to Odessa. So we got dressed up and went into the Emergency Room and I gave her a blessing at 1 AM.  It was a really really cool experience for me.  I love that kind of service.   She's up in Odessa getting some kind of surgery right now, but they think she'll be ok.  It was sweet though.
 
That is about it!  I love you so so so much!!  Stay warm and healthy! 
Love,
~Elder Caleb
 
P.s. Mom, I didn't get the package yet, but I'm sure it will come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Elder Caleb Porter is currently serving in the Texas, Lubbock Mission. Read his letters and see his pictures here!